Saturday, May 22, 2010

Terrestrial Radio is Dead, Long Live Terrestrial Radio- online at least

 Wardenclyffe_tower

I am a true radio geek. I have a very special place in my heart for the modus operandi sound of terrestrial radio.  Similar to the vinyl-phile who loves, nay craves, the hiss and pop of records, I find a comfort in the off air sounds of radio.



I have at times railed against the Clear Channel-ization of radio and promoted the full migration to online listening; I still ‘tune into’ Radio IO, Pandora and even Last.fm more often than off air. Yet I cannot completely extricate myself from terrestrial radios grip.  I was nurtured with it as if mother’s milk to my ears and it provided the final blow to my teen angst – see my “Be In My Broadcast


I have a few choice stations that I tune into regularly which fit my very strict sense of retro-modern radio, by which I mean stations that maintain an old school radio aura but do not live in the past - (admittedly available online).  For brevities sake I am only listing the stations which constantly open my ears and provide me with a mix of music – from the expected to evocative. IMG00315


  Well, that and they all sound great on my home system, car radio and my beloved personally rebuilt 1958 Grundig’s paper speakers.



 


WNYU 89.1 FM :


New York University Radio- There is a lot going on at WNYU with just a many shows as genres one would encounter walking two blocks on St. Marks place in the east village. I fell head over heels for the New Afternoon Show nearly 20 years ago and still listen at least once a week now.  Playing historical true alternative music to the newest acts and underground genres it is a thrilling and challenging listening experience. It was the first place I heard of ‘the seattle sound’ movement back in the late 80’s –(Mudhoney or Mother Love Bone anyone?)  WNYU is an actual college training radio station so the DJ’s are not always quite polished- but that is part of the raw appeal.  WNYU broadcasts from 4pm to 10:30pm Monday through Friday.



WFMU 91.1 FM:


 The seminal free-form radio where shows can range from straight out rock n’ roll to drag racing themed rock a’ billy or thirties cigarette ads.  Every day, every show can inspire and confound you. The station is a true original.


WFDU 89.1 FM:


Honestly I do not know much about the rest of the stations broadcasts, but  Ghosty’s ‘That Modern Rock Show’  show kicks ass.  Playing Old and new alterna-punk, unique interviews and some truly odd ball fare.   His knowledge of music alternative/punk/new wave history, discographies and ephemera is remarkable.  He is the Phil Schaap of modern rock.  The observant reader will notice that WFDU occupies the same frequency set as WNYU.  WFDU only operates from 12am to 3:45pm on Weekdays and on weekends.


WXPK 107.1:


The peak is not one of those radio stations I would naturally gravitate to as it runs the fine line between 'Adult Contemporary' and a true music lover’s station.  I was convinced to take a listen and look at their website by my wife and I thank her all the time for keeping on me.  The Peak plays new music- yes actual new music – and a great mix of rock, blues, dance some pop 40, and live in-studio performances. The stations website is a treat! They feature active playlists which link to video or audio tracks, band sites, live show info and more. I am in love with a mainstream radio station- and proud to admit it.


WKCR 89.9 FM:


The radio station of Columbia University and the single greatest Jazz station on earth. While they play classical, opera, hilly billy country and the music of world cultures. But the Jazz, ah this is just pure heaven.  I listen every morning to Phil Schapps Bridflight – digging Coltrane and the encyclopedic knowledge of be-bop and jazz records Mr. Schapp possesses. I have listened to interviews which the Jazz greats of yore where he corrects them on a timeline placement or a band member who played a show or on an album.  The most common response, after a pause of consideration, is usually a ‘…well you would know better than me, I often wonder if you were there’.


WNYC/NPR 93.9


 I would be rightly admonished  if I did not mention WNYC and NPR music. From Sound Check, Spinning on Air, All Songs Considered and the fantastic NPR music site, I listen for hours on end.  The Shows feature new acts, thought provoking interviews, live in studio sessions and album first listens –(usually until the albums actual release date). WNYC is a truly remarkable music resource for the fan of any musical genre – a great deal of classical and opera as well. I have begun to dig some Opera lately, mostly the arias and solos but I have listened to a few ‘full’ production on the NPR site. 


Do youk know of a station that may just save Terrestrial Radio? let me know.


Updated- 5.25


While I do not listen to Sport Radio that often I am duly enamored with Steve Somers – The schmooze- on WFAN.  His opening monologues are erudite, cultural and most of all require you to be up to date on the latest sports, politics, news and cultural  talking points.


I was able to find a Memorial Day monologue posted on YouTube but you should check for his schedule.  He and his callers are a treat.





No comments:

Post a Comment